Monday, October 6, 2008

Making Peace with the Machine

One of the reasons I resumed this blog was that I was inspired to begin sewing. However, my first efforts were less than satisfactory, so I allowed myself to shift my focus to drawing and later to embroidery. BUT last week, I was determined to make my daughter a simple doll quilt for her birthday, and I was successful! I used the instructions for the Easy Baby Quilt in Last Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts. My mods were to make it smaller and to use regular ties since there is no risk of a baby eating the ties. I would have preferred a different fabric for the top, but if you know a five-year old girl...

My success with the quilt led me to make a pillow out of an embroidery project I was working on for my very wise friend Michelyn's birthday. I had already done most, if not all, of the stitching (I can't remember!), but I couldn't decide if I should frame it, mount it, or what. Once I felt comfortable with the sewing machine, I decided to make a small pillow, and I was thrilled with the result. The taupe linen I used is from a size 4X shirt I bought at the thrift store for $3! (I only used a piece of a sleeve for this project!) For the back, I used a dark red and taupe gingham, and I added a dark red grosgrain ribbon for hanging. The embroidery was done with my new favorite, #5 perle cotton, in dark brown (DMC #938). I made up the design myself using a vintage owl pattern I found here.

My sewing machine success inspired me to lay out a new table runner design using the "Fabulous Fall" Moda Charm Pack I bought during our trip to NC. I love the colors! I've never done any patchwork before, and I am shooting from the hip here (no pattern), so this could be an adventure.


Update 7-22-11: Looking at those beautiful fabrics makes me sad to have to say it, but I recently gave away most all of my sewing and quilting stash to someone who will make good use of it. Sigh...