Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Birthday Crown Mystery

Last week, my baby, affectionately referred to by me as "Roo," turned five. I was determined to make a birthday crown for her, and I did. I was able to successfully attach the trim using the sewing machine, but when it came time to sew the front and back together, I experienced the one hiccup in my new found sewing success. I had contemplated blanket stitching around the edge anyway, so I decided to go ahead with it—despite the fact that the only blanket stitching I had done was on my beginning embroidery sampler.

The blanket stitching left a lot to be desired, but I knew the recipient had not inherited her mother's tendency towards perfectionism, so I overcame my misgivings about the final product and gave it to her on the afternoon of her birthday. She loved it! And she wore it that day and the next day as well. When it came time to have our family party a few days later with my parents who came from out of town, the birthday crown was no where to be found. We searched everywhere, and it still hasn't turned up! Needless to say, I am very disappointed. Thankfully, I had the presence of mind to take a photo immediately after I presented Roo with the crown!

On a happier note, I have perfected the cupcake. I use a Duncan Hines yellow cake mix, which makes 24 cupcakes. (I know, I know, but I tried baking them from scratch, and they just aren't as good!) The frositng IS made from scratch using the Easy Buttercream recipe from the King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion. Finally, I sprinkle a little decorative sugar on top in colors that will please the honoree. These cupcakes have gotten rave reviews from everyone who has tried them.